In 1977, Dr. Arthur Bernstein (College 1930, Education A.M., 1931, M.D. 1935) established this fund in support of acquisitions in the field of cardiology at Penn's Biomedical Library.
In 1935 he was appointed assistant instructor of bacteriology at Penn's School of Medicine, in 1956 he became an instructor in cardiology, and in 1959 was appointed associate professor in cardiology. He left Penn in 1978 to become medical director of Crossroads Health Plan and Essex County Health Organization in New Jersey.
He was a member of many professional societies including the American College of Cardiology, American College of Angiology, American Heart Association, and American College of Chest Physicians. He was also a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine.
Dr. Bernstein remained active at Penn throughout his career, serving as president of the University of Pennsylvania's North Jersey Alumni Club, receiving the Alumni Award of Merit in 1974. He died in February, 2004, at the age of 94. His generosity to the Library will be remembered in perpetuity.
Materials purchased through this fund include: